~ by Tracy Lim ~
> Step 1 – Build healthy relationships
Getting the support you need is key in the recover of depression. Turn to trusted friends and family members. Try to keep up with social activities even if you don’t feel like it. Join a support group for depression.
10 tips for reaching out and building relationships:-
• Talk to one person about your feelings.
• Help someone else by volunteering.
• Have lunch or coffee with a friend.
• Ask a loved one to check in with you regularly.
• Accompany someone to the movies, a concert, or a small get-together.
• Call or email an old friend.
• Go for a walk with a workout buddy.
• Schedule a weekly dinner date.
• Meet new people by taking a class or joining a club.
• Confide in a counselor, therapist, or clergy member.
> Step 2 – Work towards positive thinking
When a person has depression he or she puts a negative spin on everything, including the way they see themselves.
Ways to combat negative thinking:-
1) When you think about your self dont be so hard on yourself, and think of less harsh statement and more realistic description.
2) Allow yourself to be less than perfect. Depressed people are perfectionist on holding themselves to impossible high standards.
3) Socialize with positive people. Notice that being with positive people will also change your mood and may learn to deal with the same situation that u are dealing with but in more positive manor.
4) Keep a log when you have a negative log and good back to it when your in a good mood and consider if the negativity was truly warranted. Ask yourself if there was better way to handle it.
> Step 3 – Take care of yourself
1) Get eight hours of sleep a night and on regular sleep pattern too much sleep or too little causes changes in your mood.
2) Get a little sunlight every day, the lack of sunlight can make depression worse.
3) Check your stress level, stress prolong and worsen depression.
4) Practice relaxation techniques, relaxation can help relieve symptoms.
5) Care for a pet, pets can bring joy and companionship.
6) Do things you enjoy, force yourself to have fun, former hobby, sport or music.
> Step 4 – Exercise regularly
Exercise is a powerful tool for dealing with depression, aim for 30 minutes of exercise per day. Some example are:-
1) Take the stairs rather than the elevator.
2) Park your car in the farthest spot in the lot.
3) Take your dog for a walk.
4) Pair up with an exercise partner.
5) Walk while you’re talking on the phone.
> Step 5 – Eat healthyly
1) Don’t skip meals, missing meals or long gaps between meals can make you feel irritable and tired.
2) Minimize sugars and refined carbs, as these feel good foods quickly lead to crash in mood and energy.
3) Focus on complex carbohydrates, such as baked potatoes, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, whole grains breads can boost serotonin levels without crashing.
4) Boost your vitamin B, supplements or eat more citrus fruit, green vegetables, beans, chicken and eggs.
> Step 6 – Getting additional help
Seek professional help if your depression gets worse and worse, needing extra help does not mean you’re weak. Depression can be treated and you can feel better.